How to Earn the Designation
Earning NAR's Green Designation positions you as a leader in the green real estate market who's fully equipped to help clients take advantage of the benefits in energy-efficient housing.
Become a GREEN Designee by following this simple three-step process.
1. Be an active member of NAR
Maintain active and good membership status with the National Association of REALTORS®, which offers incredible benefits such as comprehensive market research and real estate data, exclusive access to property records and information, and discount programs to help you succeed in today’s market.
If you’re not already a member of NAR, you’ll need to join a local association before you can take advantage of everything NAR's Green Designation has to offer.
2. Complete GREEN coursework in person or online
The two-day NAR Green Designation program is offered as a live lecture or an online class. Day 1 focuses on the resource-efficient home—from retrofits and remodels, to renovations and new construction. Day 2 takes an in-depth look at how best to represent buyers and sellers of sustainable homes.
You’ll gain practical knowledge that will help you:
- Understand and respond to consumer motivations such as cost savings, sustainability, and lifestyle
- Distinguish between the cost benefits of remodeling, renovating, and retrofitting a home to be more resource efficient
- Market green features of homes to attract more buyers
- Identify opportunities within your community to raise awareness about sustainability
Visit our GREEN Course Overview to learn more about what our program offers you.
3. Become a Green REsource Council member
When you complete your coursework and pass any required exams, you become a member of NAR's Green REsource Council. You’ll gain access to ongoing education, resources, and professionally designed marketing tools that help you stay at the forefront of the green real estate market.
Your first year of membership is free, with your second year prorated from the month you are conferred with the designation. Starting on your third year, you'll need to renew your membership annually at a cost of $98.50 per year.